Pierce Luck Capstone Bibliography
1. Zaslow, Eric. "About Spirit of the Game." Spirit of the Game. N.p., 29 Mar. 2005. Web. 28 Jan. 2015. <http://www.usaultimate.org/about/ultimate/spirit_of_the_game.aspx>
This source provides information about the spirit of the game which is a major concept in the sport of Ultimate Frisbee. It’s all about character of people and the true sportsmanship of the game. I selected this source because it has the 10 main points you need to know about the spirit of the game. It also tells about the spirit guidelines and rankings to gage a teams spirit (1 poor spirit, 5 high spirit). This website is really resourceful because I can use these guidelines when I teach the students about the game. This source is reliable from being on the official USA ultimate frisbee page.
2. "Why Ultimate Frisbee for Your Class?" GymClassUltimateFrisbee,. Web. 28 Jan. 2015. <http://www.gymclassultimatefrisbee.com>.
At first when I found this source it didn’t seem to be too reliable but it had good information about the game and useful techniques I could use when teaching it to the youth. It gives background information about the sport and tells all the benefits of playing. The website is broken down into the main concepts of the game, of scoring, defending, about the disc, officiating, and teaching new players, which directly corresponds with my goal. The website didn’t seem reliable because it wasn’t an official USA ultimate page but it had a lot of information which can be used. This website will help me cover all the key points of teaching this sport and it also gave me references of videos.
3. Smith, Brodie. "How To Throw A Backhand | Brodie Smith." YouTube. YouTube, 28 Mar. 2011. Web. 28 Jan. 2015. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mlf7nfKYK40>.
This is a resourceful youtube video of a very popular Frisbee player and youtube sensation Brodie Smith. He’s well known in the frisbee community with more 900,000 subscribers on YouTube. This is a teaching video showing one of the most basic throws you can perform in Frisbee. It shows technique and form. This video is a little dated but these techniques are timeless. He teaches grips and arm motions in performing the backhand throw. I can model my teachings and alterations off of his expertise of the game.
4. Statue of Liberty Flick | Brodie Smith. Dir. Brodie Smith. Perf. Brodie Smith. YouTube. YouTube, 25 Sept. 2012. Web. 29 Jan. 2015. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0ar7cWB2- M>.
This source didn’t seem to reliable at first because it showed techniques that weren’t popular in the Ultimate World. It is a reliable source because known player Brodie Smith invented a throw that would help in advancing the game. It was a tutorial video on how to do a new throw, called “The Statue of Liberty”. It’s a growing technique in Ultimate World that is becoming more popular. This is resourceful for my capstone because after I teach the basics, I could throw in this extra technique that could be useful in their learning. The video focused a lot on technique that I could really specify i my teachings.
5. How to Throw a Flatter, More Consistent Flick | Ultimate Rob. Dir. Rob McCleod. Perf. Rob McCleod. Ultimate Rob. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 Jan. 2015. <http://www.ultimaterob.com/2012/10/23/ how-to-throw-a-flatter-more-consistent-flick/>. w
This is a reliable source because it is an informative video on how to do one of the most basic and well known throws in frisbee. The forehand, “flick” throw. The video is done by Rob Mcleod who is a well known frisbee player, who has a numerous amount of awards to verify that he is reliable in a frisbee background. He has an universal quote said by Michael Jordan in the article, “You can practice throwing (shooting) eight hours a day, but if your technique is wrong, then all you become is very good at throwing (shooting) the wrong way. Get the fundamentals down and the level of everything you do will rise.” This is something I could preach to my students, of working hard and performing perfect practice.
6. McGroarty, Kent P. "Benefits of Teamwork in Sports." Healthy Living. Demand Media, n.d. Web. 28 Jan. 2015. <http://healthyliving.azcentral.com/benefits-teamwork- sports-1119.html>.
This is a source that relates to my topic in broad terms of relating to all sports. It’s a webpage about the benefits of teamwork and how it relates to everyday things. This relates to my teachings because teamwork is a major point in my teaching. In the website it teaches the main points of Corporation, Socialization, Teamwork, and Accountability. This could be a major point in my teachings. It’s kind of reliable because it’s kind of what the Author thinks about these concepts rather than what they mean to sports. I selected this source because I have to teach a team sport, I would want to know the best values to teach my students.
7. How To Layout in Ultimate Frisbee | Brodie Smith. Dir. Brodie Smith. Perf. Brodie Smith. YouTube. YouTube, 9 May 2011. Web. 29 Jan. 2015. <https://www.youtube.com/watch? v=DSbU38d6wnE>.
When reviewing this source I noticed that the video was made in 2011, which would be a little dated in 2015 but the source was made by Brodie Smith a world renown Frisbee player. This source would is reliable in teaching the art of laying out in the game. Laying out is thrusting your body horizontally, on offensive ( for catches) and defensive (for blocks). Brodie Smith teaches the fundamentals and techniques of this art, so that a player may make amazing plays and be safe. This will help me in my teaching to my players as I will teach them this high risk technique in a safe way. This video source is highly useful, I can use the Brodie Smith tutorial into a lesson.
8. Tsui, Bonnie. "Ultimate Frisbee Takes Off." The New York Times. N.p., 29 Apr. 2009. Web. 29 Jan. 2015. <http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com %2F2009%2F04%2F30%2Ffashion%2F30fitness.html>.
This article by Bonnie Tsui, is about the rise of the sport of Ultimate Frisbee. Although it doesn’t protein exactly to my topic of teaching the sport it tells about the constant rise of it’s popularity over the years. How it started as a game only played by white men to now a world renown, professional sport. The article has bio’s of people’s history of the game and how it could be more than a college activity. These stories can be useful in the promotion of the sport. Even though it has grown, the goal isn’t set yet to inform everybody about this great sport. This source is reliable and will help teach my kids about the history
9. Chansky, Tamar. "Kids and Sports: Eight Strategies to Teach Kids How to Handle Disappointment and Lose like a Winner" Parenting at More4kids. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 Jan. 2015. <http://www.more4kids.info/734/kids-and-sports-handling-disappointment/>.
This webpage was about teaching Kids about playing sport in general. It focused on teaching kids how to lose, and how to face disappointment which can be really challenging in a kids life. This website is useful because it gives specific techniques I can use in teaching my sport. These techniques aren’t directly forin 1 sport in particular, there for the love of sport and the love of the game which makes this a very useful resource to use in my teachings. I can combine these techniques with the core aspects of Ultimate Frisbee. I selected this source
because I want to make sure that when teaching the kids they gain more than skills for a new game but to gain character while doing so as they become good sportsman.
10 .How to Throw A Frisbee Far (Huk). Dir. Brodie Smith. Perf. Brodie Smith. Youtube. N.p., 20 June 2011. Web. 29 Jan. 2015. <https://www.youtube.com/watch? v=Trm_XZR3dA0>.
This video is a tutorial of how to throw a very long pass (huk) in the Ultimate Frisbee play. It is introduced by professional player Brodie Smith. He teached the mechanics and techniques of performing this throw. This source is useful because it will help me translate the tutorial into teaching of my own, when teaching the young players how to huk. I selected this source because I needed to know all the guidelines and techniques, so I may correctly transfer the tutorial information into a lesson plan. One limitation of the tutorial videos is that i’m not actually there to perfect the craft but the video is very specific in the techniques.